Introducing the 3rd Annual Margaret Tobin FAME Awards
The Funding Arts and Music Education (FAME) Committee of the Junior League of San Antonio, Inc. is dedicated to encouraging San Antonio youth in the performing arts. Our mission is to organize and coordinate the Margaret Tobin FAME Awards, which recognizes the best and brightest performing arts programs in public and private high schools in San Antonio and surrounding areas.
The Margaret Tobin FAME Awards are named for Margaret Tobin (1900-1989), civic leader and Junior League of San Antonio member, in honor of her vision and generous support of the performing arts. Through the FAME Awards, the Junior League of San Antonio is able to impact arts education and support local youth in the performing arts. Junior League of San Antonio volunteers organize and coordinate the event and monetary awards are granted to the arts programs of the award winners. We hope you join us for this exciting event!
Special thank you to our sponsor:
The Capital Group Companies Charitable Foundation
Margaret Tobin FAME Awards Basics
- Open to all public and private high schools in San Antonio and surrounding areas.
- Monetary awards will be awarded to the school programs in four general categories: Best Theatrical Performance, Best Dance Performance, Best Instrumental Performance, and Best Vocal Performance.
- Performing Arts staff will submit an online application through www.jlsa.org website.
- Include a URL to a YouTube video of the group’s performance.
- The performance must be 5 minutes or less.
- The performance submissions must be from the current school year.
- Groups should not exceed 16 students.
- Laurie Auditorium Trinity University – San Antonio, Texas stage size is 40’wide x 30’ deep.
- A school can participate in multiple categories, but cannot submit more than one group in each category.
- Online application and video submission are due by Friday, February 10, 2017 by midnight.
- Preliminary judging will be completed by a specialist in the category field.
- 3 finalists will be selected in each category and will perform live at the awards show April 9, 2017.
- Finalists will be notified by Friday, March 10, 2017.
- Final judging will be done live by all 4 judges on the evening of the awards show.
- Scores will be tallied by the Junior League of San Antonio in all instances.
- Scores will be a compilation of:
- Technical Skill
- Artistic Presentation
- Level of Difficulty
- Overall Performance
- The awards show is Sunday, April 9, 2017 at 5:30pm at Laurie Auditorium Trinity University – San Antonio, Texas.
- Groups will have rehearsal time the day of the show.
- Scores will be tallied and awards will be given at the end of the evening.
- The Program Directors will accept the awards on behalf of the school.
- The top 3 winners in each category will receive a monetary award to be used for the schools’ performing arts program:
- 1st Place: $2,000
- 2nd Place: $750
- 3rd Place: $250
- Wednesday, November 16, 2016: The online application is available.
- Friday, February 10, 2017: Online application and video submission are due.
- Friday, March 10, 2017: Finalists will be notified.
- Sunday, April 9, 2017: The 3rd annual Margaret Tobin FAME Awards at Laurie Auditorium Trinity University – San Antonio, Texas.
For additional details or questions, please contact Courtney May, FAME Assistant Chair/School Liaison, at FAME@jlsa.org.