In 1924, eleven women organized the Junior League of San Antonio, Inc. (JLSA), with a vision of making a difference in the lives of women and children in San Antonio. Ninety years later, the JLSA has contributed over a million hours to the community, which translates into approximately eighteen million dollars worth of volunteer hours and over seven million dollars invested into projects in the community. The JLSA has made its mark in San Antonio through a number of organizations and community projects.
The JLSA is a member of the Association of Junior Leagues, International (AJLI). Comprised of 292 Junior Leagues in four countries, AJLI has been providing support, guidance and leadership development opportunities to member Leagues since it was created in 1921. AJLI strives to unite all the Junior Leagues; provide continuity and support; and serve as a steward for the Junior League Movement. Today, through regional, national, and international meetings, comprehensive resources and customized consultations, the AJLI adds value to member Leagues in their fulfillment of the Junior League Mission.
The Junior League of San Antonio, Inc. is an organization of women committed to promoting voluntarism, developing the potential of women, and improving communities through the effective action and leadership of trained volunteers. Its purpose is exclusively educational and charitable.
What We Do:
During 2012-2013, the JLSA awarded $43,000 in grants to our community partners, and invested $50,000 and 6,930 volunteer hours through our community placements, bringing the total impact on the San Antonio community to $246,640 last year.
The JLSA has partnered with over 60 agencies annually. Our community partners are located throughout the city and work to make a substantial difference in our community. These partners include, Dress for Success San Antonio, Goodwill of San Antonio, Ronald McDonald House, SAMM Shelter, Seton Home, and Boysville, Inc.
As a member of JLSA, you will be able to help achieve our mission: one step, one dollar and one smile at a time.
The JLSA prides itself on being an organization of diverse women who are committed to helping San Antonio. We are a group of professional women who work together to make a positive impact on the community, and in the process we also impact each other. As a member of JLSA, you will promote our mission through your work in the community as well as your interaction with other league members. The JLSA is a wonderful way to make a meaningful difference, meet new friends, and learn about the city of San Antonio.
Here are a few statistics from a recent league survey:
• 67% of our New Members are between the age of 25-34;
• Ages range from 25 to 93; 61% of our Active Members are between the age of 25-34;
• 75% of our members work outside the home;
• 63% of members hold managerial/professional positions;
• 49% of members are involved with other causes; and
• 54% of our members have children living at home.
While statistics provide a snapshot of our league, the following testimonials answer the question many women who consider joining the Junior League of San Antonio ask: Why should I join?
"The Junior League has always done wonderful things, but what has impressed me the most has been their ability to change focus with the times. Although the projects and the service to the community are fantastic, the JLSA does something even better---they develop and train first class volunteers and create wonderful lifelong friends.” Suzanne Goudge, Sustainer, Volunteer Extraordinaire, 2010
“When I was approached to join the Junior League of San Antonio, I didn't think it was possible to add one more thing to my plate. However, the more I thought about it, the more I felt it was important to find ways to give back to the community and perhaps meet some new people along the way. That decision was a life-changer for me. Making the time for the league pays back in so many ways; everything that you give is returned to you ten times over.” Marian Suarez, Active Member
Benefits To Joining JLSA:
• Reach beyond your day to day life and make positive changes in San Antonio
• Expand your circle of influence and meet inspiring women
• Meet new people and form lifelong friendships
• Give back to the community and impact so many lives, effectively and efficiently
• Do good on a regular basis - not just a one time engagement
• Experience personal growth and leadership development
• Expand your skill set - leadership, public relations, sales, marketing skills, etc. - all yours for the taking!
• Participate in a well run organization
• Include your family through programs such as Kids in the Kitchen and Little Leaguers